Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It's Type-ifying!

For our last Foundation Computers assignment, we investigated the use of type in Illustrator to create imagery.

This was my representational type drawing: a pair of Groucho Marx glasses in their symmetrical, hairy glory.

This is my non-representational type drawing. I actually started out with a scribble line of numbers which I copied, reflected, and kept scaling up. Because of all the scaling, the numbers are difficult to see and the image is pretty intricate up close.

For this "expressive" type drawing, I drew on the artist David Carson whom we looked at during class. I saw how he lay phrases in interesting ways. I took the end lyrics from Joanna Newsom's song "Baby Birch" (a fantastic live version is here) and chose my type and composition based on the meaning and rhythm of the song. Many believe the artist is singing about a mother mourning an abortion or miscarriage, which definitely injected some emotion into how I chose to lay out the words.

And this is the last of the four -- a six word autobiography. I really liked how a portion of the class wrote sentences instead of separate words, so mine feels slightly less creative. It was actually kind of difficult to come up with the proper words once I was in front of the computer screen, but I think these all apply to me at least somewhat.

Things are heating up in Second Semester/Color Foundations: Week 5 means at least Project 1 in both 2D and 3D as well as two sketchbooks and a color chart are due. Just in those two classes. But it's just back to the daily grindstone push and pull.


P!S! So I've been becoming obsessed with the site Co.Design. It has amazing examples of new design, infographics, and generally mind-bending ideas. One of their articles was also about The Ice Book, which is hauntingly beautiful. And that's just one of the great discoveries to be found. I've added the site to my Links, and they update it with several articles everyday as well as keeping track of their archives. I definitely recommend taking a look and enjoying the whimsical world of design.

No comments:

Post a Comment